Writer, Editor, Teacher
I've been a writer every since I could read, and a professional writer and editor for most of my working life. My strength lies in communicating complex ideas in clear, accessible prose.
- Clear, accurate writing, editing, and instructional design for technical and general audiences.
- 20+ years’ experience as a professional writer, including Master Writer at the Microsoft Corporation.
- Author of books in technical, instructional, and spiritual/religious fields.
- Website development and content writer.
- Online course designer and instructor.
Writing, Editing, Instructional Design
- Technology Writer for Doosan GridTech (formerly 1Energy Systems), December 2013-August 2016. Write specifications, white papers, business communications, web content, and software documentation for products that help utilities operate clean energy storage systems.
- HMI Design for 1Energy Systems, 2013. Contract to design and specify the Human Machine Interface for an innovative energy storage system in co-ordination with Snohomish County P.U.D.
- Developmental book editor, 2013. Assist authors who are experts in their fields in developing book proposals. Edit manuscripts in preparation for submission to the publisher. (References on request.)
- Master Writer at the MICROSOFT CORPORATION, 1987 – 1994. Project lead and primary writer for many projects, including documentation for Microsoft Access 1.0 and 2.0; Microsoft Access Step by Step, a best-selling book in the computer market published by Microsoft Press; and Microsoft Windows Applications Working Together, winner of an Award of Excellence from the Society for Technical Communication.
- Technical writer with MICRORIM, INC. and COMOS, INC, 1985-87. Specifications, documentation, and training materials for new relational database software.
- Staff and freelance writer, 1990 – 2013. Mission statements, white papers, proposals, newsletters, and community histories for profit and non-profit organizations, including JEFFERSON HEALTHCARE, the UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND, and ST. PAUL’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH in Port Townsend, Washington.
Web Design and Content, Online Learning
- Website design and content for the HOSPICE FOUNDATION FOR JEFFERSON HEALTHCARE, 2011 - 2013. Develop, write, edit, and maintain the Hospice Foundation web site (hospicefoundationjhc.org).
- Owner/Publisher of IN THE COURTYARD, LLC, 2006 – 2013. Web site offering content, classes, retreats, books, and other services that teach and support mindful practices (inthecourtyard.com).
“This is the first time I have participated in an online class and for me it was a great way to learn.” — Kathy Hacker, in response to an online class offered through In the Courtyard.
Haiku - The Sacred Art: A Spiritual Practice in Three Lines (SkyLight Paths Publishing, 2009).
"Provides a clear 'how-to' guide to getting started with writing haiku, and especially with approaching it as a contemplative, meditative art for self-discovery and spiritual enrichment."
—Dr. Randy M. Brooks, Modern Haiku
Sacred Attention: A Spiritual Practice for Finding God in the Moment (SkyLight Paths Publishing, 2007)
“A quirky but perceptive guide….McGee writes from a Christian perspective but many Buddhists will also feel at home.” —Publishers Weekly
Stumbling Toward God: A Prodigal’s Return (Innisfree Press, 2002)
“An offbeat, engagingly written, appealingly uncertain spiritual memoir.” —Publisher’s Weekly
Microsoft Access for Windows Step by Step (Microsoft Press, 1993). Co-authored with Judy Boyce.
Widely translated first edition of the best-selling tutorial for Microsoft Access, relational database software for Windows.
An Annotated Bibliography of Texts on Writing Skills (Garland Press, 1976) Co-authored with Shannon Burns, Mark Govoni, Lois Burns.
I was born in Mansfield, Ohio and moved to Washington State after completing my B.A. in English at Miami University and M.A. in English at Ohio University. I worked as a car hop, secretary, academic adviser, and typesetter before catching the wave of the software industry in the Pacific Northwest as a technical writer. I attained the position "master writer" at the Microsoft Corporation, acting as project lead and principal writer on many projects before leaving that company in 1994.
At my web site IntheCourtyard.com, I share my further adventures along the spiritual path through prayers, meditations, and other writings that spring from my relationship with the Episcopal church.
I am a member of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church and a licensed Preacher and Worship Leader in the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia. My prose and poetry have appeared in such publications as Alive Now, Modern Haiku, Frogpond, The Living Church, Episcopal Life, Englewood Review of Books, Northwind Anthology, The Heron's Nest, and bear creek haiku. My plays have been selected for performance at the Port Townsend Playwright’s Festival and at Love Creek Productions’ Short Play Festival in New York City. I am a teacher, guest speaker and leader of workshops on topics related to spirituality, creativity, and prayer.
I live with my husband David Schroeder in a cottage community in Port Townsend, Washington.